Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 12:20:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NT4, FBSD, different disks and booting

Mine is a quite common situation, I would think.  Description: a
new PentiumPro, which, of course, comes with an IDE disk.  Not
wanting to demean ;) FreeBSD by installing it on the IDE disk, I
installed FBSD on an external 4 GB SCSI (not "dangerously
dedicated", just the standard slice install).  NT 4.0 workstation
is living on the whole IDE disk (I need to boot BT sometimes
to use Excel and Word).

I went to the FAQ to see how to setup the NT bootmanager to
handle the dual boot, where I see that the recipe only works if
both are on the same disk.  Aha, says I, I just need a customized
boot block.  So I went to the biosboot directory where I compiled
a bootblock with BOOT_HD_BIAS=1, substituted boot1 (obtained after
the make) for the boot block normally acquired via dd in the recipe,
and still got a "no bootable partition" error, with no FBSD boot.

Does anyone know how to handle this type of (likely quite common)
situation?  Booting off a floppy is getting old fast.

Bud Dodson

PS,
I posted this on usenet, but doubting there would be any response
there, I'm also posting here.  I should have just posted here;
sorry for the slight spam.

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790