Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:55:24 +0100
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        David Hill <david@wmol.com>
Cc:        lanithium@dingoblue.net.au, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ip blocking

David Hill <david@wmol.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 22:01:41 +0800
>"Lanithium" <lanithium@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> I'm currently using freebsd 4.2. this machine runs my network of 2 =
other computers thru ppp & nat. I was wondering if it was possible to =
block certain ips from being used on my network?
>>=20
>> For example, say if i wanted to stop people from going to the site =
www.freebsd.org [216.136.204.21] would it be possible to do this within =
nat or some other way ?
>>=20
>> thanks in advance.
>>=20
>> Matt.
>> lanithium@dingoblue.net.au
>>=20
>>=20
>
>I believe it's possible with ppp's filter lists...
>But I would suggest using IPF or IPFW for firewalling and NAT

Why? PPP always seemed to do a cleaner job of the NAT and Firewall
functions than trying to work with the extra complexity of IPFW and NAT.
(for occasional dial up)

YMMV.  Take a look at /usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.sample
and man(8) ppp of course.

John.