Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2003 15:16:11 +0100
From:      Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
To:        Lucky Green <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5.0 without swap

--x+RZeZVNR8VILNfK

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 02:16:45AM -0800, Lucky Green wrote:
> Miguel wrote:
> > Having no swap will prevent you from getting crashdumps in=20
> > case of panic which, if you run 5.0, is not that unusual.=20
> > Besides these days harddrives cost $1/GB, so why not setup=20
> > the swap partition anyway?
>=20
> I don't want cleartext cryptographic keys to ever touch magnetic media,
> thus potentially opening the door to future forensic analysis.
>=20
> --Lucky, who thought that he once, many years ago, read that there was a
> kernel option one should set if you have no swap partition.
>=20
>=20

It seems like you can encrypt swap with GBDE, at least that's what one
item at http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.0R/todo.html says.
The manpage doesn't mention encrypting swap though.

- Christian

--=20
http://www.unixpages.org			chris@unixpages.org
GPG Pub-Key    : www.unixpages.org/cbrueffer.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D
GPG Key ID     : 0xA0ED982D

--x+RZeZVNR8VILNfK

--x+RZeZVNR8VILNfK--