Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 21:02:08 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mkisofs and ISO images that boot

Dave Hayes wrote:

> >From the handbook:
>
> > 10.8.2. mkisofs
> > The last option of general use is -b. This is used to specify the
> > location of the boot image in producing a ``El Torito'' bootable
> > CD. This option takes an argument, which is the path to a boot image
> > from the top of the tree being written to the CD. So, given that
> > /tmp/myboot holds a bootable FreeBSD system with the boot image in
> > /tmp/myboot/boot/cdboot, you could produce the image of an ISO 9660
> > file system in /tmp/bootable.iso like so:
> >    # mkisofs -U -R -b boot/cdboot -o /tmp/bootable.iso /tmp/myboot
>
> Hmm ok.
>
> $ make installworld DESTDIR=/random/place/FirstCD
> ...<hours of unrelated hacking later>...
> $ ls -l /random/place/FirstCD/boot
> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  149504 May  8 17:00 cdboot*
>
> Ah! Just what I need, right? So...

Nope. You need a full diskette image with kernel on it. This is
only a boot loader. The name is the same as in the example but
the contents is completely different.

> $ cd /random/place
> $ mkisofs -U -R -o FirstCD.iso -b boot/cdboot FirstCD
> Size of boot image is 292 sectors -> mkisofs: Error - boot image
>   'FirstCD/boot/cdboot' is not the an allowable size.
>
> Ok, I'm kinda stumped, so I go to the man page and see this:
>
> -b eltorito_boot_image
>         Specifies  the  path and filename of the boot image
>         to be used when making an "El Torito" bootable  CD.
>         make  an  "El  Torito" bootable CD.  The boot image
>         must be exactly the size of either a 1.2, 1.44,  or
>         a  2.88  meg floppy, and mkisofs will use this size
>         when creating the output iso9660 filesystem....
>
> Well. Can anyone shed any light on the apparent inconsistencies

There is not inconsistency. Both documents say the same thing.
Though the name of the boot image file in Handbiik is poorly chosen.

> between the handbook, the man page, and what is -really- needed to
> make a bootable CD?

Create a floppy image with the UFS filesystem, the boot loader
and the kernel image (probably gzipped) on it. I'm not sure whether
it has to have the cdboot boot loader or if the floppy loader will
do. Then use this image for mkisofs -b. Better use a rewritable
CD-ROM for the experiments until you get something working.

-SB