Date:      24 Dec 2018 13:07:46 -0500
From:      "John Levine" <johnl@iecc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mayuresh@kathe.in
Subject:   Re: apple : mac pro : full hardware supported?

In article <c36354d78a531d7836540c7e2f805478@kathe.in> you write:
>is the newer generation of apple hardware, especially the mac pro, well
>supported by freebsd?

I doubt it.

FreeBSD runs quite well under Virtualbox on a Mac.  For a lot of
purposes that's just as good.  I have FreeBSD on my Mac with the Mac's
native filesystem NFS mounted on SD, ssh into the BSD virtual machine
for a terminal session, and BSD applications use the Mac's XQuartz X
server for windowing applications.

I wouldn't use it as a production server (even under MacOS, it's a
laptop after all) but it works great for development and testing
and running programs that work better on BSD than MacOS.