Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2000 12:10:32 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KAME stable 20000704

There's no current support in KAME or OpenSSL for hardware encryption
acceleration.  The OpenBSD guys have support for a Hi/fn 7751-based
board (see http://www.powercrypt.com which is reasonably priced.)  It's
supported for use in their IPSEC stack only at this point.

I've got a couple of these boards that I'm playing with in my spare
time.  Currently, I'm learning the wonders of newbus to figure out
how to port the OpenBSD driver.

The powercrypt board is available with FreeBSD drivers (including for
4.0 and 5.0-current) which exports a user-mode interface for fairly
"raw" access to the hardware.  You might be able to use that interface
to speed-up SSL operations.

The Hi/fn board can support probably a couple hundred crypto contexts
simultanously, if I recall correctly.  That number drops quite a bit
if you want to perform compression because the compression contexts
are quite a bit larger.

louie