Date:      Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:44:22 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Matthias Buelow <mkb@incubus.de>, pcasidy@casidy.com
Subject:   Re: Quality of FreeBSD

--nextPart10130128.AHysfYeH06

Am Donnerstag, 21. Juli 2005 22:06 CEST schrieb Matthias Buelow:
> pcasidy@casidy.com writes:
> >My main problem, and to others after seeing the question from times to
> >times, is to know which is a good (not necessarly the best) hardware to
> >run FreeBSD on?
> >When I buy a new motherboard, which chipset to choose/avoid, which
> > controllers ?
>
> Maybe some website like it is being done for notebooks (with
> Linux/FreeBSD support) would be in order. I'm thinking about something
> like http://www.linux-laptop.net/, only for FreeBSD and all kinds of
> machines, not just notebooks. (Or, if some collaboration would be ok,
> for *BSD in general, with people posting experience from NetBSD,
> OpenBSD, Dragonfly, even Darwin aswell. That way one could also compare
> support for hardware and see what problems the individual systems have.)
>
> Make it a Wiki, or something similar, where people can freely post
> experiences they have with their hardware. That could be whole machines
> (Dell model xxx desktop, IBM yyy laptop, HP zzz server) aswell as
> components (Asus blah motherboard, 3Com wlan card model foobar, etc.)
> and make the thing searchable, and perhaps allow one to post comments on
> entries (easy with a Wiki). That way people can quickly search & review
> hardware, awell as test suggested workarounds by the posters, without
> having to google for obscured mailing list entries, or problem reports.

Well, there are numerous great FreeBSD sites out there which assist in such=
=20
question, but I also like the idea of a purely hardware database site.
If nobody want's to extend his site I'd offer to start a new one, I have=20
spare capacity in both, my servers (if they go online, in some days I=20
hope) and my leased line, so I'd be glad to contribute something.
If anybody with wiki-experience wants to step in, you're welcome, I'm not=20
the big webmaster...
Maybe Eric Anderson wants to contribute his bsdhardware.org domain, or we=20
could name it hardware.freebsd.org
I'll be back when I have something online.

Best regards,

=2DHarry