Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2007 08:10:35 +0200
From:      Erik Cederstrand <erik@cederstrand.dk>
To:        Cristian KLEIN <cristi@net.utcluj.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvup mirrors and exact CVS dates

Cristian KLEIN wrote:
> Erik Cederstrand wrote:
>> [...]
>> 1) To identify the jails, I name them after the CVS date I put in the
>> cvsup file. Now, if the date is now() (converted to UTC), can I be sure
>> that any given mirror (retrieved by fastest_cvsup) has the same set of
>> files? Or will some mirrors be behind and happily give me sources that
>> are older than what the main CVS server would report for that specific
>> CVS date?
>
> Suppose the mirrors we are talking about are up'n'running, some mirrors may be
> as much as 1 hour behind with the source tree.

Ok, that's usable for me, to just fetch sources from now() - 1 hour. I
just want to make absolutely sure that when the tracker encounters a
performance regression, developers are able to csup to the offending
version and expect to see the exact same files as the tracker was
working on.

>> 2) On the same note, is there any way to uniquely identify a global
>> revision of the FreeBSD source tree, comparable to revisions in
>> Subversion? From what I understand, there is no way to know if e.g. CVS
>> dates 2007.10.25.13.45.00 and 2007.10.25.13.46.00 represent the same
>> source code, except updating to both dates and seeing if any files change.
>
> This is my understanding too. Each file has a separate version number and there
> is no global revision number. If you still require such a feature, how about
> taking max(mtime()) as a global revision number?

Unfortunately (on my system at least), that just tells me when I csupped
the source (which I already know), not when the file was checked into
CVS. Maybe a complete CVS repo would give me that info?

Thanks,
Erik