Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 1997 10:32:07 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        Randy Shepherd <randys@dowco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation

Does your isp use pap or chap? if so you are going to need to type in
something like the following: (i'll give you everything i type and you can
work out which bits you need)

set device /dev/cuaa1		(this selects com2 for the modem)
set speed 57600
set parity none
set timeout 1200		(seconds = 20 mins)
accept chap			(or vice versa if you use pap)
disable pap
set authname username		(replace username with your username :))
set authkey password		(ditto)
set openmode active
set ifaddr 0 0			(i don't think you need this line as the
				(installation procedure works this bit out
				(for you

also i heartily recommend reading the pedantic ppp primer at
"http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/index.html"

hope this helps

Andrew Perry
andrew@shoal.net.au