Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 20:49:38 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@pagesz.net>
To:        David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv DGA problem

David Kulp:
 |a few weeks ago I sent an email to multimedia about a problem with
 |fxtv.  I wasn't getting any video unless the window was obscured.  The
 |verdict from the list was that DGA wasn't supported by my S3 card.

(Again, sorry for the delay in the response.  I'm playing catch-up.)

Well, I don't know about that.  I'm assuming you're running with XFree86
since you said the dga test program works.

If XFREE86, and if the X server is local, and if XFree reports DGA is not
available (see "xdpyinfo | grep DGA" -- if no lines get printed, it's not),
then you will see:

        XF86DGA extension not found

If you don't see this (or any other DGA errors) when running fxtv from a
terminal window, then Fxtv thinks DGA is there and it's trying to use it.
If you don't see anything, but you do when the window is partially
occluded, then likely DGA is reporting the wrong base address for the frame
buffer, and the Bt card is dumping video "somewhere else" in virtual memory
(not good).

Looks like Roger explained why partially occluded works and how to force
that mode all the time, so I'll skip that.

 |But the wierd thing is that the dga test program that comes with
 |XFree86 and dtv (which definitely uses DGA) both work.
 |
 |This implies that DGA is supported on my card and that there is
 |possibly a problem with fxtv.  Do you have any ideas here?  How can I
 |help track this down.

Hmmm.  First thing to do with all these problems is run:

        fxtv -debug startup

Please post the output.  In particular, notice the base address for
direct video.  For example:

   XF86DGAQueryVersion() succeeded - vers = 1.00
      BaseAddr = 0xe0000000, Pitch = 1600, BankSize/RamSize = 4194304/4194304

This should agree with the frame buffer base address reported by your X
server when it starts up ("if" it reports this).

Randall