Date:      04 Mar 1998 20:56:44 -0600
From:      stephen farrell <stephen@farrell.org>
To:        Jeff Zhen Chi <zchi@hal.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compatability of FreeBSD

Jeff Zhen Chi <zchi@hal.com> writes:

> I am wondering if FreeBSD compatable w/ Linux.  I have several software r
> runnning on the Linux platform.  Are they also able to run on FreeBSD?

FreeBSD supports linux elf and a.out binaries.  This compatibility is
very good but there are a few programs that will not run.  E.g., vnc
for linux doesn't work (but there's a freebsd port for it so it's not
a big deal).  Staroffice, applixware and many other important apps run
fine.

Perhaps it would help if you listed the software you needed to run,
and people could then give specific answers as to how well these
binaries work.

--

Steve Farrell