Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:53:25 -0500
From:      Greg Berenfield <gberenfield@berenfield.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCMCIA/PC-Card support

Greetings,

I'm pretty new to FreeBSD and recently installed it on my Dell 7500 laptop
(previously installed it on a mini-tower for web-server role).

I'm trying to use the following pcmcia cards on my laptop and have had no
luck under 4.1.1-REL and 5-current:

3c589
3c575
3crw737a (AirConnect wireless)

The 3c589 (i think) should be the easiest one to get working but under
4.1.1-rel when I assign it an ip address with ifconfig, the link light on
the card goes from solid to blinking - everything looks right (as far as I
can tell)

Under 5-current, no luck with the 3c575 but I think that's due to ignorance
(of a larger nature ;)
For 5-current, I'm using the NEWCARD config file as a template but am unsure
of what drivers to comment/leave in place for cardbus support.
Also I have little/no clue on the device.hints file and just copied
NEWCARD.hints to /boot/device.hints (least my 5-current kernel boots :).
But beyond that, I can't tell where to put in 3c575 config info to have it
recognize the card; it detects the inset but gives the hex id info but I
need to tie that to the pccard.conf file? And should this file sit in the
/etc/default dir or go into /etc ?

If there's any good reference docs for pcmcia/pccard support for 4.1.1-REL
and/or 5-current, I'd love to know about them.

I'm new to FreeBSD but already love the security and cvs-update features
over redhat linux (7.0 my prime motivator for the switch). PCMCIA support is
my only gripe - it seems limited over redhat's driver support. (Cardbus
being the limit I guess).

Any/all help greatly appreciated!

Greg B.