Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 1995 15:45:54 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bugs@ns1.win.net, hsu@cs.hut.fi
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Mail... (fwd)

>   Using a terminal server front end will allow you to switch users based
>   on incoming protocol type, load, or software version.   (you also don't
>   have to futz with serial drivers or burden your box with serial interrupts).

>386-33 with 16 V34's connected with a cyclades card doesn't seem to cause
>any visible load (load average stays under 15%).  Haven't tried to server
>PPP yet, but will do so soon.  This is with Linux, 8M, dedicated to be a
>terminal server.

That's surprising.  I've (carefully) measured the following loads for
115.2Kbps raw mode input on a 486DX2/66:

	FreeBSD-1.1.5-16550	 5.6%
	Linux-1.1.late-16550	 6.6%
	FreeBSD-1.1.5-16450	15.0%
	FreeBSD-2.1-cyclades	19.8%
	Linux-1.1.late-16450	23.1%
	Linux-1.2-16450		23.9%
	FreeBSD-2.1-16450	25.4%
	Linux-1.2-cyclades	29.0%

In raw mode, the cyclades should be slightly more efficient than a dumb
16550 board.  It is less efficient now because of 14/3 times as many
interrupts and higher overhead per interrupt.

In cooked mode, the cyclades should be much more efficient.

Bruce