Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 2002 21:40:10 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD Questions LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ld-elf.so.1 error

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 12:30:05PM -0800, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> # emacs
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libXaw3d.so.7" not found
>
> I had this problem once before.  Emacs worked fine.  Then I installed
> (partially, a broken) XFree86 4.2.0 and then emacs stopped working with a
> similar error.  Reinstalling X fixed it but is there an easier fix??
>
> For example, is there some trusted place I can simply download
> libXaw3d.so.7 to "trick" emacs into working properly?  Hope I can fix this!

If you mean somewhere you can download libXaw3d *from*, well your best
bet is just to copy the file from some other FreeBSD box or from
backup.  Failing that, if you pull down and install the Xaw3d package
or reinstall the x11-toolkits/Xaw3d port it will supply the missing
shared library. You can tell which package installed that library by:

    % pkg_info -W /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw3d.so.7
    /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw3d.so.7 was installed by package Xaw3d-1.5

If, on the other hand, you mean where can you download a copy of the
shared library *to* then:

   * Shared libraries installed by ports generally go into
     ${PREFIX}/lib.  For X-Windows stuff, that's
     /usr/X11R6/lib. (System shlibs go into /usr/lib)

   * Shared libraries can be installed into any directory so long as
     ldconfig(8) is run to let the system know about it -- for
     instance portupgrade will keep copies of any obsolete shlib from
     an old package in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg.

   * If you modify any shared libraries, you should rebuild the
     system's cache of shared library hints by running ldconfig(8):

        ldconfig -R                 will recheck all previously
                                    known directories containing
                                    shlibs.

        ldconfig -m /some/dir       will rescan as above and also
                                    merge in any shlibs found
                                    in the named directory.

        ldconfig -r                 will list the current hints
                                    file.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way