Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 2017 20:56:25 -0800
From:      "Tony Hain" <tony@tndh.net>
To:        "'Ian Lepore'" <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Fatal kernel abort (was: r313878M builds mmcsd0s2 as read-only & /etc/fstab is missing)

Ian Lepore wrote:

> > I have tried both /dev/mmcsd0s2a and /dev/mmcsd0s2 in fstab, and =
both
> > are failing as read-only. They are not marked that way on the media
> > because I can mount and write files from the crochet system. My =
first
> > thought was that something in the boot sequence handing off the =
device
> > to FreeBSD as read-only, but when I try to mount the dos partition =
it
> > fails to mount and I end up with the kernel panic. When I mounted =
the
> > dos partition on the crochet system the only difference I can see
> > between the running BBB and the dos sector in the BBG card is that =
the
> > file names are upper case on the working one and lower case on the
> > failing one. Given that the kernel boots, the name case is unlikely =
> > affect the mounting of the second partition as read-only.
> >
> > Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
>=20
> I don't use crochet, hardly know anything about it. =A0But I know a =
lot of
people
> do use it, so it seems like if it were really creating broken unusable
images,
> other people would have something to say about that.
>=20

That was my first thought, but buildworld has only been completing about =
1/3
of the time, so I wasn't sure if something in the base build changed an
assumption that crochet was making. It turns out the reason loader.conf =
and
fstab were missing on my 12.0 builds was that when I changed from 11 to =
12 I
exceeded the disk capacity of the build system, so I moved some things =
off
to nfs mounts. The crochet scripts were mounted, but all the work space =
was
local. In any case I had not been watching the builds so I never saw the
cpio errors that scrolled off the console of the vm. When I ran it over =
ssh
I could scroll back and see 'cannot expand over softlink' errors. There =
was
no "link" anywhere and all the workspace was local, but something about =
the
nfs mount of the script itself fails. I changed the cpio lines to use =
rsync
since it was installed on that system, and the builds are completing
correctly with all the files. Unfortunately they still fail to boot and =
drop
into single user because / mounts readonly.

Tony