Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 23:02:03 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Bob Van Valzah" <Bob@Talarian.Com>, "pW" <packetwhore@stargate.net>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-Security@FreeBSD.ORG>, <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Racoon Problem & Cisco Tunnel

I'd agree with you if everyone that would have to do a renumber of a
large network from IPv4 to IPv6 had Vint Cerf's money.  When your retired
like him with money coming out your arse-hole you can afford to make
irresponsible statements like that.

Unfortunately, what people like him don't understand is that the burden of
renumbering the fabric of the Internet from IPv4 to IPv6 will fall largely
on people like me - who have thousands of customers and tens of thousands of
public IP numbers spread out among all of them - and who don't have the
money to support something this audacious.  I can almost guarentee that
whatever ISP that I am working for when this finally happens is going to go
out of business, all it's going to do is put thousands of smaller to
medium-sized ISP's into bankruptcy and let people like AOL who have money
coming out their arse-holes virtually monopolize Internet access in the
world.

Until I see the large organizations with Class A's tied up, give up those
numbers back to the pool, I'll fight any attempt to move from IPv4 to IPv6,
and most other ISP's that are out there are going to fight it as well.  In
the meantime I'm pushing all my customers into using NAT.  NAT is here to
stay and people that run around calling it an aberration are just proving to
the rest of us that they have absolutely no business sense.

NAT has proven itself reliable and vital and idiot engineers that design TCP
protocols that assume everyone has a public IP number are just architecting
their own failures, and their protocol's subsequent minimizing by the
market.  I have some sympathy for protocols like IPSec that came to be
during the same time - but organizational-to-organizational IPSec tunnels
don't have to pass through the NAT - they can terminate on it.  But, anyone
doing a new protocol today is a fool if it can't work though a NAT.