Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:50:31 -0400
From:      "C. A. Daelhousen" <cd9@buffalo.edu>
To:        "Henning, Brian" <brian.henning@navitaire.com>
Cc:        " (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: xargs

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 04:15:57PM -0500, Henning, Brian wrote:
> can anyone see a problem with this command? i tried to it and all it
> performs is a check some of the last element of the file my_input.txt.
>
> cat my_input.txt | xargs cksum

Does "xargs cksum <my_input.txt" work? Is the file what you expect it to
be? Is it delimited with newlines, or something else? (If my_input.txt
was generated by "find ... -print0", then it's "something else" and you
should read the find and xargs man pages.) What version of FreeBSD are
you running? If you use "xargs echo" instead, does it tell you anything
useful?

--
..: Chad Daelhousen == cd9@buffalo.edu :.........: sig v3.1 :...
: Programming for 10 +/- 2 years (50 +/- 10% of a lifetime)    :