Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 2009 19:03:26 +0200
From:      Jochen Fahrner <freebsd@fahrners.de>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on iMac G3

Hi Nathan,

> You can find it at http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/=20
> boot1.hfs.bz2. It's 800K after decompression, and should be dd'ed =20
> onto a free partition somewhere on your disk, of type =20
> Apple_Bootstrap or Apple_HFS.

Thank you very much!!! That works great. Saves me a lot of headache. :-)

> You should be able to use the gpart utility in FreeBSD to add one =20
> (pass the type as !Apple_Bootstrap), or use the Gentoo mac-fdisk =20
> utility.

The Gentoo mac-fdisk is perfect for that. It can generate an Apple =20
bootstrap partition with a special command, and this is 800k in size. =20=

Fits perfectly. If there is some interest, I can explain in detail =20
how to setup an Apple harddisc with mac-fdisk for FreeBSD.

I think it would help a lot of people if this would be mentioned in =20
the install docs and downloadable from some server. This is much =20
easier than installing the complete source tree and syncing it with =20
cvs, only to get this little image file.

> If you could provide a dmesg, and a description of the crash you =20
> mentioned earlier, that would be appreciated as well. Good luck!

Thank you, luck is needed. I will make the Xorg tonight and try it =20
tomorrow again.

Mit besten Gr=FC=DFen
--=20
Joachim Fahrner