Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 16:25:50 -0500
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Ben Rosengart <ben@skunk.org>, "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a BSD identd

In message <199907101949.VAA14008@gratis.grondar.za>, Mark Murray wrote:
} > On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, Mark Murray wrote:
} >
} > > There is the question - what for? identd is of questionable use at best.
} >
} > I used to run a public shell machine, and one of my users cracked
} > someone else's site.  Identd made it much easier to figure out who the
} > problem user was.
}
} That represents tiny percentage of identd use. The rest is noise.
}
} Pidentd+DES _is_ useful in the situation you mention above. It is
} on average useless to most security folk, as it can also be used
} to obfuscate the problem. Crack root on the box, and identd is no
} longer trustworthy.

Just because it's useless in some situations doesn't mean it's not useful
in others.  Yours is an argument against _misusing_ identd, not an argument
against _using_ it.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com