Date:      Mon, 15 May 2006 20:39:01 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Jason Garrett <kingedgar@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: jwchat.

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 10:04:28PM -0500, Jason Garrett wrote:
> On 5/15/06, Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> wrote:

> >that

> >> http://jwchat.sourceforge.net  is where I started from and had a
> >> succesful install within a day or so. It took some crafty apache
> >> config sections but all in all it wasnt bad. Make sure you have a
> >> jabber server though!
> >
> >        Are you running apache-1.3?  I am, but the examples the jwchat
> >        site has are for v2 of apache.  I finally used the <Virtual *>
> >        example, put it into the apache httpd.conf and I finally
> >        stopped getting a 404  err.
> >
> >        The jabber daemon:: *yes*.  A few hours ago I found the FAQ
> >        pages on the ejabberd site and realized I needed not only to
> >        add/modify several strings but uncomment them.  "%" isn't
> >        normally used as a comment token.
> >
> >        JWchat looks like it'll serve well ... if I ever get the
> >        bloody thing set up!
> >
> >        thanks for your help,
> >
> >        gary
> >
> >        PS: the chap who was helping me via message board has to think
> >            i'm a moron ... won't be the 1st time:-)
>
> Gary,
>
> I am using apache 2.x. I have only used apache 1.3 one time and am
> unsure of syntax/module differences, however I will post my relevant
> parts of httpd.conf and config.js
>
> Apache:
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>  ServerName chat.bogus.tld
>  DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/jwchat
>  <Directory /usr/local/www/jwchat>
>    Options  +Indexes +Multiviews
>  </Directory>
>  AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
>  RewriteEngine on
>  RewriteRule http-poll/ http://bogus.tld:5280/http-poll/ [P]
> </VirtualHost>
>
> Please note that here I had trouble while the jabber server and jwchat
> were resolving to the same domain, ex bogus.tld. They have to be
> seperate, at least from what I have tried.
>
> /usr/local/www/jwchat/config.js
>
> var SITENAME = "bogus.tld"
> var DEFAULTRESOURCE = "jwchat";
>
> <lot of snippage>
>
> var BACKENDS =
> [
>                {
>                        name:"Ejabberd",
>                        httpbase:"http-poll/",
>                        type:"polling",
>                        servers_allowed:[SITENAME]
>                },
> ];
>

> I hope this sheds some light, even though I am using apache 2.x.
>
> Also I had to have mod_rewrite and mod_proxy compiled in and enabled,
> not sure on how to do this with apache 1.3, maybe someone more
> familiar with 1.3 can chime in on those modules.

	I'd appreciate it if anyone who knew the diffs between apache
	1.3 and 2.x could add to this.

	I have close to your httpd.conf entry excep that I have localhost
	instead of sage.thought.org; that may explain something.  The
	trouble I was having over the weekend, still is happening.
	When I point my broswer athe the JWChat stuff, I get popups that
	announce their abortion.  One is:

	"JID is missing...\nAborting".

	Thought I'd resolved this, but not: rats!  Thanks for your
	examples; I'll add your "RewriteRule...." stuff and see if
	"the Fates" smile ......

	gary