Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 11:53:12 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@jnx.com>
To:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
Cc:        dg@root.com, cmsedore@mailbox.syr.edu, dennis@etinc.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Router statistics

There's a lot less cruft needed to flow packets out a fxp.

  From: Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
  Paul Traina <pst@jnx.com> writes:

  > > dg@root.com (David Greenman) writes:
  > >
  > > Wcarchive does an average of 3500 pps with a peak of around
  > > 5000 pps. The average data rate is around 20-25Mbps, with the
  > > machine around 50% idle. This is using the Intel PCI
  > > Pro/100B...reduce the idle time to about 30% if you're using a
  > > DEC/de card.
  >
  > Yep, the fxp driver is /much/ more efficient than the de
  > driver.  Oh well, fxp's are cheaper too. :-)

  (Sigh) Is this an attribute of the driver, or of the respective
  chips?  I've sort of settled on 21140-based cards, and I'd hate
  to buy Intel stuff, as it only encourages them to take over more
  of the world than they already have.  But for some applications,
  I really need high throughput and efficiency.  And the card *is*
  cheaper.  Does there have to be a switch to the fxp driver in
  my future?

  All right, I'm done whining for now.

  Jim Shankland
  Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.