Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:08:42 +0200
From:      "Martin Tournoij" <carpetsmoker@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Opera spellcheck doesn't work (aspell does)

Spell checking in opera doesn't work, opera says that aspell isn't  =

installed (it is).
comandline aspell works fine.

The weirdest thing is that the problem is present at both my workstation=
s,  =

the one at home and the one at work, one is running FreeBSD 6.0 and the =
 =

other 6.1.

Opera 8.5 spellcheck also didn't work, although I do remember that it  =

worked at some time, although this was a long time ago. (I think that wa=
s  =

with 5.4, not sure though)

Is this a FreeBSD, opera or aspell problem? Look like it's FreeBSD.

I posted this message at the opera forums, unfortunatly without any  =

results...

I've tried:
removing and installing opera
removing and installing aspell
symlinking libaspell to /usr/X11R6/share/opera/plugins
Looking for some configuration variable, can't find one in GUI,  =

opera:config or in any of the config files.
Removing my .opera
Running opera as root (Desperate....)

Thank you for reading.
Martin Tournoij

Some system information

uname -a:
FreeBSD carpet 6.1-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p1 #0: Mon Jul 24  =

20:56:44 UTC 2006 root@carpet:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

opera:about:
Version information
Version 9.00
Build 344
Platform FreeBSD
System i386, 6.1-RELEASE-p1
Qt library 3.3.6
Java Java Runtime Environment installed
Browser identification
Opera/9.00 (X11; FreeBSD 6 i386; U; en)

Paths Preferences /home/carpetsmoker/.opera/opera6.ini
Saved session /home/carpetsmoker/.opera/sessions/AAAAA.win
Bookmarks /home/carpetsmoker/.opera/opera6.adr
Opera directory /home/carpetsmoker/.opera/
Cache /home/carpetsmoker/.opera/cache4/
Mail directory /home/carpetsmoker/.opera/mail/
Plug-in path /usr/X11R6/share/opera/plugins /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugi=
ns
User CSS directory /home/carpetsmoker/.opera/styles/user/

aspell --version
@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.60.4)

ldconfig -r | grep "aspell"
206:-laspell.16 =3D> /usr/local/lib/libaspell.so.16

Installation method
FreeBSD ports tree; www/opera and textproc/aspell
for opera: make install -DWITH_ASPELL -DWITH_SHARED
for aspell just make install