Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 1995 20:40:09 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, hsu@freefall.cdrom.com, FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gating hackers into the newsgroups

> > What do people think about a full hackers<->comp.os.freebsd gateway then?
>
> I'm against it for the reasons already given, which mostly include the
> signal/noise ratio.
>
> Even the Linux developers have given up on the newsgroups and do most of
> the work in mailing lists.  I *rarely* see any postings from Linus, and
> there are only 2-3 developers who answer questions anymore.

I'm not going to push strongly for this but I'll make one last point. I'm
only talking about hackers, which is not a development list and isn't
even that technical, it more of a general discussion list and really
plays the role that the newsgroup should.

If we did set up a gateway then I guess the role will evolve and if it
does get noisy people will drop from it and use -current instead. I
don't see this being such a bad thing really and it would show the
wider newsgroup audience that we're actually a pretty active project.

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org,  URL: http://isl.cf.ac.uk/~paul/