Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 19:15:49 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        John Johnson <ioann_j@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, lprng@lprng.com
Subject:   Re: Installing LPRng 3.6.22 and ifhp 3.3.19

At 2:31 PM -0700 8/8/00, John Johnson wrote:
>Garance,
>
>I did start there, but the version included in the
>ports collection is 3.6.8; I thought I'd try with the
>current version if possible.

That is a reasonable thing to want to do.  My point is
that the PORT will probably give you several good clues
as to what you need to do to get LPRng running.  I don't
mean "just blindly make the port", I mean "look at the
port, the updates it applies, the makefile it uses, and
the configuration options that it chooses".

For most programs, the new version of a program will
probably be "basically the same" as the old version,
at least as far as porting-issues are concerned.  So,
the port itself is a good source of ideas for how to
make the new version, even if the port is for an older
version of the software.

I am not an expert in ports, but what I like to do is
a 'make checksum' for some port, at which point it has
(generally) downloaded most of the interesting files.
I then poke around in the 'patches' directory, or check
to see what the makefile is doing.  Sometimes I'll do
a 'make configure', and then check to see what the port
has created in the resulting 'work' directory.

I didn't mean to seem like I was just blowing you off.
I am just saying that the ports collection really IS a
good first-place to look for tips on how to get some
program to compile.  You and I (and others on this list)
could sit down and rediscover all the issues already
discovered by the maintainer of the port, but what point
is there in our redoing that person's work?

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute