Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 10:13:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        Mike Del <repenting@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: I am still having problems with my 56k pccard modem.

Mike,

This is answered in the mailing list archives *many* times.

But the answer you are looking for is to lower the speed of the link in
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf.

Chances are you have it set to:
 set speed 230400

This should be:
 set speed 115200

I don't have a 56K modem in my laptop, only in my desktop, and this is the fix.

Patrick