Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:42:29 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPPoE offer.

David Gilbert wrote:

> Josef> As far as I'm aware it _does_ work - in the form of user-ppp
> Josef> (/usr/sbin/ppp), maintained by Brian.  Why do you need to use
> Josef> kernel ppp - it's a mess :)
>
> In some discussions with some local BSD hackers, many claimed that I
> would never get the performance I required out of user-ppp.  The basic
> requirement is that we handle somewhere between 5k and 10K
> connections (on some amount of CPU).  Were would I find recent patches
> to user-ppp to receive PPPoE streams?

Now in 3.3-Stable and  -current.

We also have patches in the works to allow full kernel bypass of
the ppp daemon in the common case, resulting in Mucho performance
increase.

with the version we have now, a 100KB/sec ppp session took 6% of a
P6-200

(the other end was a 486DX50 :-)
with enough RAM we could probably serve 10K sessions, though that would
require 10K ppp daemons until we got the kernel bypass working.
in either case it would presently leave a HUGE ifconfig -a output
as there would be 10000 intefeaces, each representing a
channel to a client.
It migh tbe worth wondering if we need to
abstract a 'class of PVCs' type device that feeds
to some othe rway of splitting them.
(we can do this with netgraph pretty easily.)
(is it worth doing?)

Julian