Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 1995 09:23:52 -0400
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        agl@mac.glas.apc.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Is there any FAQ on thge serial in FreeBSD?

    Anthony> /usr/libexec/getty loads the NVRAM profile with ATZ? What
    Anthony> is not clear is: what would happen if NVRAM'd get lost or
    Anthony> corrupted someshow? Could I init the modem from the batch
    Anthony> file (well, something that has the same effect as
    Anthony> /etc/default/uu*S? in gettyps) ? I suppose I could, but
    Anthony> what is the proper tool to do this? Kermit or chat from
    Anthony> pppd-2.1.2c package?

Or even expect version 5.14.  But I imagine echo or cat > /dev/cuaXX
would be more than enough.  You could put these commands in your rc
files and have your machine set the proper settings on each bootup.

    Anthony> That's nice. Ok, is there any way to use getty with modem
    Anthony> in the command mode (i.e. ATS=3D0 and wait for "RING") so
    Anthony> that it won't pick up the phone when the system is down
    Anthony> or shan't I be doing it?

Sure.  Make certain that AT&D2 or AT&D3 (whatever your modem supports)
is also in your modem's default NVRAM settings.  This should tell your
modem to pay attention to the DTR signal (and also reset and hangup
the phone when DTR goes from on to off).  When your system's down, DTR
should be off, and your modem shouldn't answer the phone.

    Anthony> Still it resembles a bit Intaractive in the dialin part :^)

Euyuck!  I thought I worked at the last site that still had
Interactive systems ... with the old Kodak logo on the manuals. :-)

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA

I bet when the Neanderthal kids would make a snowman, someone would
always end up saying, "Don't forget the thick, heavy brows." Then they
would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big
hunky brows too, and they'd get mad and eat the snowman.
-- Jack Handey