Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 16:02:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: setting up ethernet interface

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Graeme Tait wrote:

> Why couldn't you use DHCP to assign static addresses? I understood the DHCP

You could, but it would be up to the DHCP *server* to assign the client
the same static IP each time, not up to the client.  If the client tries
to force an IP address that the server is trying to dish out to another
system, neither system will work.

> server's job was to reconfigure the network as required, and this would
> presumably include setting up the routing from the given IP to the client.

The server assigns the IP address, the gateway address, and other needed
information.  The client figures out the routing, though.

> As a related example, I have a static IP with a dialup account. With this
> provider, I can dial in to any POP in the provider's coverage area
> (mid-Atlantic), and still have that IP. But the routing will be different.

Correct.  As long as the dialup server sends your machine the correct
gateway and subnet mask, your machine properly figures out the routing
from itself to the gateway.

> The static IP is dynamically assigned in the dialup negotiation, and somehow
> the routing is set up dynamically in the ISP's network.

Right -- as I said above, though, it's assigned to you by the server.  In
some cases, you can configure it manually, and the dialup server will see
that you've configured an IP and will try to use it.  However, most ISP's
don't work that way anymore, because someone could deliberately configure
their machine with someone else's IP address, knocking that other person
off the 'net.  Nowadays, most likely, if you hard-code an IP address into
your machine, and the server sees that, it'll just disconnect you.