Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 1996 18:52:57 +0100
From:      tonyc@compnews.co.uk (Tony Clark)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compaq Contura 486 laptop

I would like to install FreeBSD on my laptop cause i need a much much more
stable operating system that Windows 95/OS etc etc....

And been a Unix System Administrator UNIX is the answer :)

I have already used/installed/running a freebsd box at our site (as the news
server (nntp)) - so i usderstand its pros and cons etc.

The following question i need to ask is really compatibility options for
freeBSD on my system, i don't want to install FreeBSD to find it doesn't work
correctly or that a device on my system is unsupported. With freebsd on
a Stand alone PC its easy to purchase the relevant cards that are supported
but when you have a laptop its not so easy.

Any Advice would be much appricated.

QUESTION:	Will my laptop support freebsd 2.0.1 ?

If not what external devices might i have to purchase ?

IBM PCMCIA ethernet controller ?
Different PCMCIA modem ?

thanx in advance ?

------

MACHINE:	Compaq Contura 410C 486 colour laptop

Disk Drives:-
	Generic IDE Disk Type 65
	Generic NEC Floppy Disk

Display Adaptor:-
	Western Digital

Floopy Disk Controlers:-
	Compaq Floppy Disk Controller

Hard Disk Controllers:-
	Compaq disk controller

Keyboard:-
	Standard 101/102-Keyboard

Modem:-
	PCMCIA Worldport Miracom 14400 (generic AT command set modem)

Monitor:-
	Laptop Display 640x480

Mouse:-
	Compaq Internal Trackball (PS/2)

Network:-
	PCMCIA Xircom CE2 Proformance series Ethernet Adaptor

PCMCIA Socket:-
	Compaq PCMCIA Controller

Ports (COM & LPT):-
	Communications Port (COM1)
	ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

System Devices:-
	Advanced Power Management support
	Direct memory access controller
	Motherboard resources
	Numeric Data processor
	Plug and Play BIOS
	Programmable interrupt controller
	System Board
	System Board extension for PnP BIOS
	System CMOS/real time clock
	System Speaker
	System Timer

(this information was gathered via device control under Windows95)

--

Little Tony........

Systems Administrator (PA Data Design)