Date:      Thu, 03 Apr 1997 21:15:28 +0200
From:      Burkard Meyendriesch <bum@malepartus.de>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   xntpd with PARSE and DCF77 receiver

Hi all,

I've just installed FreeBSD-2.1.6 and tried to startup xntpd with a simple
DCF77 receiver on /dev/cuaa1. I made a symbolic link to /dev/refclock-0 and
used the following config file for xntpd (I used this config file on my
Linux box before):

  #
  # NTP configuration file (ntp.conf)
  # Reineke
  #---------------------------------------------------------------------
  # undisciplined local clock
  #---------------------------------------------------------------------
  server 127.127.1.0

  #---------------------------------------------------------------------
  # RAW DCF77 100/200ms pulses; Conrad  DCF77 receiver module / 5ms
  #---------------------------------------------------------------------
  server 127.127.8.0 prefer mode 5

  fudge  127.127.8.0 time1  0.190 # 190 ms (9.5 bits @ 50 baud)
  fudge  127.127.8.0 flag4  1    #

  #
  #---------------------------------------------------------------------
  # Miscellaneous stuff
  #---------------------------------------------------------------------
  #
  enable auth monitor             # enable the good stuff
  driftfile /etc/ntp.drift        # path for drift file

  statsdir /var/log/xntpd/        # directory for statistics files
  filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
  filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
  filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

  statistics	loopstats clockstats peerstats

The result ist that xntpd comes up but doesn't open the serial device and
therefore can't find the DCF77 reference clock.

What is my mistake?

Burkard