Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:57:25 +1200
From:      Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>, Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>, arch@freebsd.org, joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz
Subject:   Re: Long-term mutex ownership (was Re: Interruptable mutex aquires.)

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 10:15:25PM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
> > The general consensus (which I currently don't yet share) is that we
> > should use condition variables for things like async event waits.  I'm
> > still looking for a consistent definition of condition variables, and
> > how they differ from "mutexes".
>
> Go grab Andrew S. Tannebaum's (sp?) _Modern_Operating_Systems_.  One of
> the first chapters gives execellent treatment to comparing/contrasting
> mutexes, semaphores, condition variables, and sleep/wakeup.

... and once you are done with it find out that it is all the same
just offering different views onto something that can be implemented
and used in exactly the same way. I've just gone through this - trying
to explain it to 239 second years students - I can't see any difference.

	Joerg
--
Joerg B. Micheel			Email: <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
Waikato Applied Network Dynamics 	Phone: +64 7 8384794