Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:36:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        Joey Garcia <bsd_usr@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with UW SCSI Seagate (Compaq) ST34371W and Tekram 390F SCSI Adapter

	Please reply back to -questions... my experience is rather limited
in the fact that I've never had problems with SCSI that was not directly
related to overheating or my own stupidity with jumper settings... :)

> Thanks for the info.  I had purchased that SCSI card
> pretty much because it was FreeBSD compatible, but I
> was hoping that I didn't get a dud.  I'm hoping it is
> the hardrive that's at fault, but how can I be for
> sure?

	Replace the drive and/or the card with another one if possible, at
least long enough to see if the problem sticks around. You'd want to
narrow it down of course to the drive or the card. :)

> I have the cover off on the machine.  The SCSI drive
> is on top and is kinda warm to the touch but not
> really that hot.  I've felt hotter drives before.
>
> I'm thinking of getting another SCSI drive to see if
> that is the problem, but I'd hate to find out it does
> the same thing at it being a bad card.
>
> I can also try updating the BIOS on the card to see if
> that solves the problem.  But would that reall be at
> fault?

	If another card fixes, then yes. It's possible you do have a bad
card. Like I mentioned, I've never had problems with those cards
myself. :)

				Rick

Rick's FreeBSD Web page http://heorot.1nova.com/freebsd
Ace Logan's Hardware Guide http://www.shatteredcrystal.net/hardware