Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 1995 11:09:22 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@geli.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   more sysinstall partition fun.

Only took 4 times this time, but the 6/6 boot.flp
system install finally succeeded.  The hangup is
the MPE.

System: IBM 0662 1GB disk, ncr53c810, ASUS P54SP4, de.

Another system with the same disk and controller
came up 1st time with an older sysinstall, same
starting point:  2.0.5A running over 2.0R disks.

Basic procedure: in the MPE, delete any existing
slices and tell it to use the entire disk.  Set
the FreeBSD slice bootable.

1st time I didn't pay attention to cylinders, after
all it worked the last time.   Installed without
a hitch, but booting from the O662 halted with a
blank screen and the drive light continuously on.

Ok, no problem, pull out dos fdisk and get rid of
everything by putting a dos partition on the entire
disk.

2nd try  Install, reboot hangs with "out of range of bios"

Ok, paying more attention now.

3rd try, the MPE came back with 1025500/2/1. I
supply 1000/7/293.  Install, reboot fails with
"Missing operating system."

4th try, the MPE came back with 7918/7/37 (!!)
What the hell, they're different, let's see what
happens.

The slice table looks like this:

     0      37      36   -     6     unused
    37 2050725  205761 sd0s1   3     freebsd 165 CA
205762     238 2050999   -     6     unused   0

Install, reboot, success!  (must of tired it out ;-)

So here are some observations:

1. I have no idea what is going on with the cylinder/head/sector
   games.  The reasonable thing (feeding the MPE something less
   than 1024 cylinders) did not work.  The final configuration
   is 7918/7/37, well over 1024.

2. The sysinstall itself is getting pretty smooth, I like how
   you can leave stuff off the network configuration and though
   it complains it goes ahead and does the install.  Possibly
   could use some check boxes where it asks for NFS client, etc.

Russell