Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:59:27 -0400
From:      Shawn Halpenny <malachai@iname.com>
To:        Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>, Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Eureka! Pasting into netscape

On Wed, Apr 22, 1998 at 12:14:03PM -0400, Ken Seggerman wrote:
> Studded:
>
> Thanks for posting this. It is a great help. I have just downloaded and
> installed Netscape 4.05, and am getting used to it.
>
> I was lamenting that there seemed to be no universal cross-application cut
> and paste the way there is in Windows. Well I guess I was wrong.
>
> I am sure that its behaviour is a different in X. Are you using XFree86 or
> another X-application?

This sort of thing applies to many, many, many of the X apps that allow
input (and do output) of text.

> When copying to the clipboard are you limited to one screenfull, or is
> there an equvialent of the Windows "select all" function?

Not a "Select All", but it is possible to extend the selection past the
current window of text in your xterm.  To do so, first select some text,
scroll the window so that the new position is visible, then use the
rightmost button (button number 3) to click and the selection
will be extended (or shrunk) to that position.

Also, you may be interested that if you double click in an xterm, you will
be able to select a word at a time, rather than character-by-character
(just like in Netscape).  Triple-clicking will allow selection line by line
(not just like in Netscape).  Xterms can do a lot of stuff (man xterm)...

> Another problem I have been having is that Netscape downloads a file at
> the click of the mouse when the browser has opened a http connection, but
> with a ftp connection open through the browser, a mouse click gives an
> ascii download to the browswer window.

If you go to Edit|Preferences|Navigator|Applications, you'll be able to
select which file types you want downloaded, which you want to pump
through a filter, those you wish Netscape to display, etc.

--
Shawn Halpenny