Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 2021 10:40:02 +0200
From:      Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
To:        FreeBSD User <freebsd@walstatt-de.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD base pkg (packaging) and critical ports build alongside

 Hello,

On Wed, 29 Sep 2021 10:28:05 +0200
FreeBSD User <freebsd@walstatt-de.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use FreeBSD-base packages built on self hosted systems to update 13-STABLE
> and CURRENT hosts.  I run into the problem, that the packages of the FreeBSD
> base, built via the FreeBSD framework and from most recent 13-STABLE sources,
> are often oit of synchronisation with our poudriere packaging builders, that is
> especially true for critical ports with kernel modules, like i915 drm,
> virtualbox and so on. The problem is, obviously, barehanded: 13-STABLE sources
> and probably the API changes more rapidly than those of the appropriate builder
> hosts for poudriere and since it takes a bunch of days to build a whole
> poudriere packages repository, there is often a gap between the revision of the
> kernel and the port containing kernel modules.
>
> So, the question is: how can I add ports to the building process of the FreeBSD
> sources tree in the way they get build every time I build the FreeBSD-base
> packages alongside the OS?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> oh

 What I do to have packages (from ports) and pkgbase in sync is that I
use poudriere to also build pkgbase.
 It's available in poudriere-devel using -B when creating the jail.
 Then I simply cpdup the packages and pkgbase at the same time at the
end of the package build.
 poudriere knows how to do make update-package for pkgbase so your
machine will just update the modified packages (provided that you are
on a RELEASE/STABLE branch or have WITH_REPRODUCIBLE_BUILD=yes in your
jail src.conf for CURRENT).
 There is still one problem with that approch for kernel modules, they
will be recompiled but as the version isn't bumped it will not be
upgraded, so I just pkg install -f drm-devel-kmod from time to time.

 Cheers,

--
Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> <manu@FreeBSD.org>