Date:      Wed, 09 Aug 2000 11:49:51 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>, Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TAB vs 8. Spaces (was Re: cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/faq book.sgml)

> On Wed 2000-08-09 (19:11), Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
> > The size of the diff worried me. The main reason is the amount of
> > TABs in revision 1.87. The FDP Primer demands spaces for indentation
> > and my tool sticks to that rule.

     Here, "cvs diff -b" is your friend ("-b" ignores whitespace
differences).  I'll let others speak on the validity of using tabs
vs. spaces.

> > What's the general opinion about using TABs as a shortcut for indentation?
>
> It's spaces until you fill a tab, then it's a tab.
>
> 2 spaces, 4 spaces, 6 spaces, tab, tab and 2 spaces, tab and 4 spaces,
> tab and 6 spaces, 2 tabs, 2 tabs and 2 spaces.

     Yes, this is the (correct) rule, unlike various horribly broken PC
editors and IDEs.  A tab character is supposed to go to the next
8-character column boundary.

> Actually, I'm not at all sure if emacs does it this way.  Vim does,
> though.

     Emacs does it this way by default.  You can also tell Emacs to use only
spaces (no tabs), though.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com