Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 07:47:50 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>, "Daniel Ruthardt" <ruthardt@chello.at>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IP Masquerading - Using NAT

> Looks pretty good except for one big problem, you are trying to use a
> single interface. natd(8) is designed to be used with multiple
> interfaces. It does not work well with one. Each packet will go
> through natd(8) twice and this tends to really confuse it.

Hmm.  I won't presume to say you're wrong, but I've done natd on a single
interface in three different setups, and they run perfectly.  Of course you
would want to make sure your router, modem, dsl device, etc wasn't going to
accept any non-routable IP packets, especially if you're using IP based
security like in Samba.

> There are other problems with this scheme. First, if you were planning
> to later add firewall rules for security, they will offer little
> protection since your machines are still naked on the net. Second, you
> are likely going to be leaking your "private" address traffic onto
> your LAN (and from there who knows where it may get routed).

Why would anything route a 10.0.0.x or 192.168.x.x ?  I'm not contradicting
you, I'm curious.