Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:18:15 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Allen Louden <alouden@access.mountain.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ppp

On Thu, Sep 11, 1997 at 08:37:39PM -0400, Allen Louden wrote:
> Greg,
>
> Let me start with a hearty THANK YOU! I appreciate the time you are taking
> to help me.

You're welcome.

> Something I neglected to mention previously is that my provider assigns me
> a dynamic ip. It seems this may (I could be wrong) change the way we have
> done things. I say this because, this evening, after I received your
> latest, I added the default route and nothing would ping. Well, the packets
> are transmitted, but not returned. Also, when I did a netstat -rn, the
> addresses are different each time I am on.

OK.  This is a FAQ.  You need a file /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup with the
following contents:

MYADDR:
 add 0 0 HISADDR

Note the indent of the second line.  This will add the route for you
when you establish connection.

>      Another cause for question. It seemed that while I was fiddling with
> the different ping attempts, I would lose the packet mode and have to go
> back into ppp, then term and then re-enter packet mode. (?) When I did a
> show route in ppp one time I was given the following;
>
> 127.0.0.1      127.0.0.1         ffffffff        UH               4
> 198.77.21.3    198.77.21.41      ffffffff        UH               2
>
> and another show route gave me four or five different address lines.

I haven't seen that one.  Let's solve the other problems first, and
see if that one is still there.

> One other thing for now, how in the hell do I disconnect my modem?

Hmm.  There was something going around on this topic in the last
couple of days, but I didn't follow it.  What happens if you enter
'quit' to the ppp program?

> Oh, btw, in resolv.conf nameserver is the actual entry, that was just an
> abbreviation on my part, sorry for the confusion.

OK.

Greg