Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:54:33 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/release/sysinstall tcpip.c

Bill Fumerola wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Garrett Wollman wrote:
>
> > Switches won't help (unless you turn learning off and manually
> > configure every Ethernet address in your entire network into every
> > switch).  All an attacker has to do to sniff your packets is to send
> > packets pretending to be you, thereby causing the switches to learn
> > the attacker's location.
>
> Not when I tell my switch that port 1 is VLAN 1 and port 2 is VLAN 2.
> Port 1 will never see port 2's traffic.

Or turn on VLAN Authentication, then he CAN'T send any packets as you
unless he knows your VLAN password.  If he tries, and your MAC and/or
IP address is already known in that VLAN, it will turn off the port
and send an alert to the Network Management System, too.

Oh, how I love this networking stuff.  ;^)

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com