Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 14:16:05 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey S. Sharp" <jss@subatomix.com>
To:        "freebsd-small" <freebsd-small@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mounting and Corruption Rehashed

Let's set the way-back knob to a few months ago.  We were discussing the
viability of doing the following:

*  Mounting flash read-only on /
*  Mounting small MFS filesystems on /var and /tmp
*  Temporarily remounting / read-write to make changes

The problem was this little paragraph from `man mount`:

> Switching a filesystem back and forth between asynchronous
> and normal op­eration or between read/write and read/only
> access using ``mount -u'' may gradually bring about severe
> filesystem corruption.

Someone spoke up and said that they had actually experienced this
corruption.

Please excuse me if the following is a dumb question: why even mount the
flash _read-only_ in the first place?  If /var and /tmp are on separate
filesystems (MFS), what write operations are going to happen to the flash
that mounting read-only would prevent?

Thanks, as always, for any helpful information.

Jeffrey S. Sharp   (XorAxAx)
jss@subatomix.com