Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:09:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jasone@canonware.com (Jason Evans)
Cc:        seth@pengar.com (Seth Leigh), tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: possible problem with SMP?

> > Terry, have you looked into the Solaris Doors mechanism, and do you think
> > that implementing a facility like that in FreeBSD would clean up and
> > improve the way FreeBSD plans to implement the threads library upcalls, and
> > other possible places for upcalls as well?  Despite my as-yet limited
> > understanding, it sounds promising to me.
>
> I have looked at the Solaris doors mechanism, and am of the opinion that it
> is significantly more heavy-weight than what we need for KSEs.
> Implementing doors is a large task by itself.

See my other posting; it may be worth the decrease in complexity
in the perverse corner cases.  Personally, I'm inclined to agree
with you, though, since it would mean more domain crossings than
are absolutely necessary (so does the activation approach, but at
least it can be justified in terms of maintaining backwards binary
compataibility, and it's less than a Doors approach, if completion
is handled correctly, which the documents indicate is the plan).

From a generic perspective, maybe we already have a competing
technology for Doors in the kqueue code (ignoring threads using
the code as an implementation detail).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---