Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:05:21 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        itojun@iijlab.net
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Dominick LaTrappe <seraf@2600.COM>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Subject:   Re: filtering ipsec traffic (fwd)

In message <26650.975598272@coconut.itojun.org>, itojun@iijlab.net
writes:
> >Could we just borrow a something from the pipsecd model?  Pipsecd uses
> >a tun device to present itself to system.  A network that is associated
> >via a pipsecd IPSec tunnel is defined in the routing table to route
> >packets through the tun interface.  Once packets enter the tun
> >interface pipsecd encapsulates them and spits them out through the
> >external interface.  Packets coming back in go in reverse order.  E.g.,
>
> 	from IPv6 point of view (yes, I'm IPv6 centric!) we cannot add extra
> 	interface like tun0.  IPv6 has scoped address, and if we add extra
> 	interface in IP stack we will change the address semantics.

Then only solutions I can think of is to have IPF/IPFW inspect the
packets before and after they are encapsulated/decapsulated or IP-IP
tunnelling within the IPSec tunnel.  Given your prior comments in this
thread, an IP-IP tunnel which uses tun(4) will give IPv4 users some
additional functionality without having to re-engineer the IPv6 stack.
Of course this will once again become an issue once the whole world
goes IPv6 or for current IPv6 users.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC