Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 1996 06:37:54 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Stephen Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Telnet Slowdown (fwd)

On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Stephen Hovey wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Garrett A. Wollman wrote:
> > I have seen no evidence to support this claim.  Pony up.
> The basic symptom is a stall - as though the sockets werent any good
> anymore without an error message.
>
> If my trumpet users do not have van jacobson compression turned on for
> instance, they can connect to my freebsd news server, but cannot
> successfully pull over the entire active headers - it stops after a

Oh, I see, Trumpet is the standard by which we measure a TCP/IP stack.
How silly of me.  I've got loads of Trumpet users here and none of them
have any problems.  Since ALL of the unix boxes here are FreeBSD, I'd
be willing to hazard that your problem is specific to your site.

Whats tcpdump show?

BTW, I'm using Livingston PM2e's and ciscos here.

> or Im on the same ethernet ring it does this - different machines (some

Theres your problem.  Its not going to work if you have your ethernet
in a ring.  I know some guys who did this and it didn't work for them
either.

:)

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|