Date:      Tue, 04 Aug 1998 14:17:43 +0000
From:      unsafe at any speed <erich@compecon.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WD errors

Mike Smith wrote:

> > I'm hearing (and as I've had similar problems and still do) a tune getting
> > repeated.  Is it that ide setups vary, or some reason such as that that we
> > haven't killed the problem?
>
> There are two cases here; one where the drive is taking a very long
> time to time out, and we give up on it first.  I'm still waiting for
> some results from someone that was testing an extended delay for this,
> but basically we can increase the delay and give the drive time to sort
> itself out.
>
> In the other case, though, where the drive is screwed, there is nothing
> to "kill".  The problem is hardware, and the only solution is to ditch
> the hardware and replace it.
>
> As has been mentioned, you can run a dd pass over the drive to give it
> a chance to write-reallocate the block (if it has failed on a read),
> but again, that's nothing that can be "fixed" in software.

My hardware identifies somewhat with that of the original poster, who
commented that after his system had been idle, he gets timeouts from
his hard drive.

I have an IDE drive containing Win95 partitions (and thus very rarely
accessed under FreeBSD) which spins down when it has been idle for a
while. If I mount it and leave it idle in FreeBSD and then access it
later, I get the following errors repeated once or twice while the
drive spins up again:

Aug  3 07:08:44 dt082nc1 /kernel: wd0: interrupt timeout:
Aug  3 07:08:44 dt082nc1 /kernel: wd0: status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 0

.. and then it continues on its merry way.

Here's what I gots, in case it is useful:
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0x80ff80ff on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <QUANTUM FIREBALL ST2.1A>, 32-bit, multi-block-16
wd0: 2014MB (4124736 sectors), 4092 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S

So, a suggestion to the original poster: check your BIOS settings and
see if you can disable the IDE "power down when idle" function,
generally found on the power-saving options screen.

cheers,
Eric