Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 2003 19:06:03 +0200
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        Chris Byrnes <chris@JEAH.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Server spontaneously rebooting

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

> We recently have been having a problem with our server rebooting
> spontaneously.  It seems to happen about every day or two.  Never had the
> problem before.. started happening about a week ago when we rebooted to
> change IPs on the machine and since we were rebooting anyway, we upgraded=
> the latest FreeBSD -stable before the reboot.
>=20
> We recently rebooted the machine ourselves to add kernel debugging stuff.
> The server rebooted itself a few minutes ago and this was in
> /var/log/messages:
>=20
> Aug 24 11:37:11 awww savecore: reboot after panic: page fault
> Aug 24 11:37:11 awww savecore: no dump, not enough free space on device
> (77588 available, need 919256)
>=20
> Any ideas on what's going on here and how to get this figured out?
>=20
> FreeBSD awww.jeah.net 4.8-STABLE FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #16: Wed Aug 20 23:03=
:32
> CDT 2003     chris@awww.jeah.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/AWWW  i386

This might be related to the PAE stuff that has been committed on Aug
08. There is a patch that removes PAE support - it has been reported to
fix stability problems on -stable machines that were rock solid before
the upgrade.

You can find the patch here:

http://freebsd.rambler.ru/bsdmail/freebsd-stable_2003/msg05123.html

Regards,