Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 11:15:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Dyson <dyson@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org, dyson@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pgcc port

> > I believe John Dyson has been using P5-optimized gcc for quite a
> > while....
>
> John, what do you think about integration some or all Pentium
> related patches into our main cc 2.7.2.1 ?!

The pgcc is experimental at best.  Once in a while, I can build a kernel
that works.  I really should give the pgcc guys some feedback, but my
job and FreeBSD take up ALL of my time...  I would keep our standard cc
as stable as it can be -- if someone wants to run pgcc, let them do it
at their own risk by installing the port.  Pgcc sig-11's quite often.  I have
seen a few cases of incorrect code.  Frankly, I think that it is in the
state of being a superub experiment (I kind-of like it, the pgcc people
are doing what the GCC people should have been doing), but I would not
trust the family jewels to it quite yet :-).

John