Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:22:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        drifter@stratos.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making the X-Display Sane

Greg Lehey said:

> Basically, if your applications need more than 800x600, I don't know
> what alternatives you have.  I'd seriously suggest trying 1024x768 for
> a while and using some kind of root screen pattern to get rid of the
> moiré.

Some monitors have a spot size too small.  Such monitors can percipitate
moire because of the aliasing between the scanlines and phosphor dots.  Since
the spot size is small, there is little filtering effect.  That is kind-of
a case of the quality (focus) being too good.

Some high-end monitors do have an anti-moire adjustment that allows selection
of spot-size, which translates to a spatial low pass filter.

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org