Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:10:49 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-print@bostonradio.org
Cc:        freebsd-audit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Patch: smarter 'lpc clean', new 'lpc tclean'

At 8:53 PM -0400 6/18/01, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>    [...]  You're still able to
>remove perfectly-valid jobs, at least you'll only remove jobs which
>have been stuck in the queue for an hour.  (I might increase this
>to two or four hours...).  I hope to *really* fix this problem with
>other changes, sometime in "the indefinite future".

>    I guess the clever option-parsing ability for generic-printer
>commands seems a little odd, but it's meant to allow for a lot of
>flexibility without having to rewrite all the generic routines at
>the same time.

I should mention that what always intended to do is have the default
period be something like four or eight hours, and then have another
option so the user of 'lpc' could request a different safety margin.
At RPI 'lpc cleans' are run every day, so it's important to minimize
the danger of blindly running it.

[I don't want to do that in this update, but it's what I meant to do
in RPI's version.  It'd be easy enough to add in some later update,
once a plausible syntax is picked.  Maybe just 'lpc clean -h 2 ...']

Also, apologies if that message was a bit long.  I had lost track
of how large the patch had become...