Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 14:25:45 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        proff@suburbia.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SLAB stuff, and applications to current net code (fwd)

>Vahalia cites a paper:
>	"Efficient Kernel Memory Allocation on Shared Memory
>	 Multiprocessors"
>	McKenney, P.E. and Slingwine, J.
>	Proceedings of USENIX, Winter, 1993
>
>Which shows the sequent code to be faster than the McKusick-Karels
>algorithm by a factor of three to five on a UP, and a factor of
>one hundred to one thousand on a 25 processor system.

   I haven't read that paper, but I suspect that the numbers are wrong due
to spl* having high overhead back then. Since Bruce's "fast interrupt" code,
spl* is almost free, and this changes things greatly. The situation might
change slightly in MP systems, but the total time inside of malloc is so small
that I really doubt that synchronization/serialization will ever be a
significant problem.

-DG

David Greenman