Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 2002 12:30:26 +0300
From:      "Denis N. Peplin" <info@volginfo.ru>
To:        daniel kohn <dkohn01@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error: Command returned status 36

On Sunday 22 December 2002 02:35, daniel kohn wrote:
> I am trying to set up FreeBSD 4.7 on a very old COMPAQ 486 machine
> with a 120MB harddrive via an FTP install.
>
> Each time I get through the setup and it tries to creat the root
> filesystem I get the following message:
>
> Unable to make new root filesystem on dev/ad0s1a!
> Command returned status 36
>
> Can you give me any ideas what I can do to fix this, or is it just
> my harddrive is too small?

Read FAQ,
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/install.html
You can choose only bin distribution. Maby, good solution is to not
divide disk to root, /usr, etc. Try to use only root.
I'm never tried to install 4.x FreeBSD to such small disk, but you can
try :)
Another way is to use old FreeBSD versions or PicoBSD.